Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sunday May 6, 2012

It has been a busy weekend and I am finally catching up. Friday night we had some rain. Today I have to cut the grass so I only do the aerobics at 66%. After the MAC I head to the Kava House. The temperature is beginning to rise along with the humidity. After lunch I get out the lawn gear. The grass is still wet so I edge and trim the lawn first. I cut the front and side yards. It is very humid and I really get tired. I stop work at 1700 and at 1730 we get in the car and head for Boulder Creek CC for dinner. We are meeting the Moleski's. The food was really good. We got home at 2100. It was a pleasant evening. Saturday morning and after taking Ms P out at 0445 I sleep in until 0715. I pedal to Bill's for their Oatmeal breakfast. On my way home I stop at the USPO to get some stop mail cards for our trip to NYC. I also stop at the bank and then pedal around Reeds Lake. I spend the next hour mowing the back yard. Our lawn really looks good. I spent about 2 hours working on my new kayak rack. I bought a grinder and I am polishing a piece of steel tubing for use in the rack. It sprinkled most of the afternoon. At 1700 I take a quick shower and then Nancy and I head to Forest Hills Inn for dinner. Ed and Mary Namey joined us for dinner. After dinner we came back to our house for dessert. We talked until 2100. Sunday morning and we get up with the alarm at 0700. We got to the MAC at 0750 but were let in early. Nancy and I did our Sunday swim. I swam 1500 yards in 47'. Not a great time but not bad for an old guy. After the MAC we head to Meijer's for our weekly supplies. I fill the Taurus up and gas was $3.81 per gallon. Nancy fixed her world famous poached eggs for breakfast. I took a long afternoon nap. Ms P and I started on a walk but it was thundering so we headed back home real fast. Tonight Nancy is fixing a special sandwich and then we will watch 60 Minutes and read the GRP before heading to bed. Letter from R. H. Scott, Ensign, CEC, USN to his mother dated 6 May 1962, 50 years ago. I updated my Mom on what was happening on Midway Island. The Island was crowded with folks getting ready to monitor the upcoming H-bomb test. I also mentioned that I had been in the Navy about 1 year and I had put on 20 pounds. I now weighed 158 pounds. I commented how mild the weather was and was surprised because Midway is the same latitude as Tampa, FL. My sister, Helen, had sent me two books to read, "The Organization Man" and Japanese Inn". I misspelled Japanese in the 62 letter but spell check caught it today. Helen was going to summer school at CMU. I said why did she not choose UM. The ratio of women to men at CMU was 3 to 1 and at UM it was 1 to 3. I asked about some family members and how their bridge and golf games were going. There are only two flights into Midway Island from Hawaii, Monday and Friday. The contractor that operates the flights for the military has just started using female stewardess. Now whenever the flight lands a lot of enlisted men are at the field to greet the flights. Sounds like "South Pacific".

No comments: