Saturday, September 3, 2011

Saturday September 3, 2011

I came down with a sore throat last night. I blame it on air conditioning. The heat wave is suppose to end today. I did pedal to Bill's for breakfast. I had the Saturday special. After Bill's I came right home and decided that today would be an easy day.

Fifty years ago this month I was getting ready to graduate from the Navy's Officer Candidate School in Newport, RI. I had a rocky start but now I am confidant that I will graduate. We are having a graduation ceremony in several weeks. My parents and sister are coming. Labor day weekend we were given liberty for the entire weekend. I and several classmates headed to downtown Newport and rented a room. We lived it up and as I recall it was a great weekend. As a candidate I was paid about $80 per month. I did purchase a class book. The book was like a high school class book. I spent about an hour this morning looking for this book. No luck! I know I put it in a place I would not forget.

Fifty five years ago this month I had hitch-hiked home to Alpena from Oregon. I had spent the summer in Oregon working for a lumber company. I was called a "choker setter". A choker setter put a cable loop around a newly cut log so it could be dragged out of the woods by a dozer. It was a great summer job. Around Labor Day I started my Freshman year at UM. It was quite a cultural shock.

Tonight Nancy and I are staying at home and eating a chicken that we purchased earlier today at Costco. After our Costco visit I caught up on reading my mail and then I took a nap.

No comments: