Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday October 23, 2011

The alarm goes off at 0655 and Bob and Nancy get ready for our swim. We both swam 1250 yards. After the swim we headed to Meijer's for our weekly food supplies. I filled the Taurus up and gas was $3.39 a gallon. Nancy fixed her world famous poached eggs for beakfast. After breakfast I read some of the GRP and then headed upstairs for a nap. After the nap I took a 3 mile walk. Nancy is fixing some salmon for dinner tonight. We will watch 60 minutes and then head to bed. It was a back to normal Sunday. In yesterday's blog I mentioned attending the CEC school in CA. I did not tell how I got to CA. I picked up a small Renault car from an OCS classmate in Detroit and drove it to Alpena. After a very pleasant two week in Alpena I loaded the Renault up and headed to Minneapolis, MN. I drove north from Alpena, crossed the bridge and then headed west on US2. I spent the night in Rhinelander, WI and then noon next day I pick up two fellow Ensigns In Minneapolis. We each had a sea bag with all our gear. I had purchased a roof rack and we got all the bags on the roof. We then left MN and headed to San Diego. The other two sailors were assigned to Destroyers out of San Diego. We shared driving and planned on driving straight through. The Renault was not a big car and it was grossly underpowered. Max speed was 60 mph. We did not stop except for gas. When we got to Yuma, AZ we decided that we were going to reach CA on time so we stopped for a hot meal and beer. After dinner we got in the Renault and drove the rest of the way to CA. When you are 23 everything is possible.

No comments: